meta data for this page
THE SENATE – ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
This acceptable use policy (“Acceptable Use Policy”) sets out the content standards that apply when you upload content to any platform supplied, hosted or provided by Senate Holdings Limited and any sub-domain of any such platform (together the “Platform”), make contact with other users on the Platform, link to the Platform, or interact with the Platform in any other way.
By using the Platform, you confirm that you accept the terms of this Acceptable Use Policy and that you agree to comply with them. If you do not agree to these terms, you must not use the Platform. We recommend that you print a copy of this Acceptable Use Policy for future reference.
If you have any queries about this Acceptable Use Policy, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
CHANGES TO THIS ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
We amend the terms of this Acceptable Use Policy from time to time. Every time you wish to use the Platform, please check this Acceptable Use Policy to ensure you understand the terms that apply at that time.
This policy was most recently updated on 4 May 2021.
You may use the Platform only for lawful purposes. You may not use the Platform:
- in any way that breaches any applicable local, national or international law or regulation;
- in any way that is unlawful or fraudulent, or has any unlawful or fraudulent purpose or effect;
- for the purpose of harming or attempting to harm minors in any way;
- to send, knowingly receive, upload, download, use or re-use any material which does not comply with our content standards set out this Acceptable Use Policy;
- to transmit, or procure the sending of, any unsolicited or unauthorised advertising or promotional material or any other form of similar solicitation (spam); or
- to knowingly transmit any data, send or upload any material that contains viruses, Trojan horses, worms, time-bombs, keystroke loggers, spyware, adware or any other harmful programs or similar computer code designed to adversely affect the operation of any computer software or hardware.
You also agree not to:
- reproduce, duplicate, copy or re-sell any part of the Platform in contravention of the provisions of the Senate Terms; nor
- access without authority, interfere with, damage or disrupt: any part of the Platform; any equipment or network on which the Platform is stored; any software used in the provision of the Platform; or any equipment or network or software owned or used by any third party.
We may from time to time provide interactive services on the Platform, including, without limitation Chat rooms or Bulletin boards.
Where we do provide any interactive service, we will provide clear information to you about the kind of service offered, if it is moderated and what form of moderation is used (including whether it is human or technical).
We will do our best to assess any possible risks for users (and in particular, for children) from third parties when they use any interactive service provided on the Senate Platform, and we will decide in each case whether it is appropriate to use moderation of the relevant service (including what kind of moderation to use) in the light of those risks. However, we are under no obligation to oversee, monitor or moderate any interactive service we provide on the Senate Platform, and we expressly exclude our liability for any loss or damage arising from the use of any interactive service by a user in contravention of our content standards, whether the service is moderated or not.
The use of any of our interactive services are not intended minors.
Where we do moderate an interactive service, we will normally provide you with a means of contacting the moderator, should a concern or difficulty arise.
These content standards apply to any and all material which you upload, post, contribute or otherwise make available to/on the Platform (“User Content”), and to any interactive services associated with it.
The content standards must be complied with in spirit as well as to the letter. The content standards apply to each part of any User Content as well as to its whole.
We will determine, in our discretion, whether any User Content breaches the content standards.
All Uploaded Content must:
- be accurate (where it states facts);
- be genuinely held (where it states opinions); and
- comply with the law applicable in England and Wales and in any country from which it is posted.
Uploaded Content must not:
- be defamatory of any person;
- be obscene, offensive, hateful or inflammatory;
- promote sexually explicit material;
- promote violence;
- promote discrimination based on race, sex, religion, nationality, disability, sexual orientation or age;
- infringe any intellectual property rights (including copyright, database right or trade marks) or any other rights of any other person;
- be likely to deceive any person;
- breach any legal duty owed to a third party, such as a contractual duty or a duty of confidence;
- promote any illegal activity;
- be in contempt of court;
- be threatening, abuse or invade another's privacy, or cause annoyance, inconvenience or needless anxiety;
- be likely to harass, upset, embarrass, alarm or annoy any other person;
- impersonate any person, or misrepresent your identity or affiliation with any person;
- give the impression that the Uploaded Content emanates from us, if this is not the case;
- advocate, promote, incite any party to commit, or assist any unlawful or criminal act such as (by way of example only) copyright infringement or computer misuse;
- contain a statement which you know or believe, or have reasonable grounds for believing, that members of the public to whom the statement is, or is to be, published are likely to understand as a direct or indirect encouragement or other inducement to the commission, preparation or instigation of acts of terrorism; or
- contain any advertising or promote any services or web links to **other sites.
BREACH OF THIS ACCEPTABLE USE POLICY
When we consider that a breach of this Acceptable Use Policy has occurred, we may take such action as we deem appropriate.
Failure to comply with this Acceptable Use Policy constitutes a material breach of the Senate Terms upon which you are permitted to use the Platform, and may result in our taking all or any of the following actions:
- immediate, temporary or permanent withdrawal of your right to use the Platform;
- immediate, temporary or permanent removal of any Contribution uploaded by you to the Platform;
- issue of a warning to you;
- legal proceedings against you for reimbursement of all costs on an indemnity basis (including, but not limited to, reasonable administrative and legal costs) resulting from the breach;
- further legal action against you; and/or
- disclosure of such information to law enforcement authorities as we reasonably feel is necessary or as required by law.
If we reasonably suspect that you have breached this Acceptable Use Policy, you shall permit the Senate to audit the Platform, any apps and all relevant material to ensure compliance with this Acceptable Use Policy by you. Such right to audit shall be exercised at our expense, with reasonable prior notice and in such a manner as not to substantially interfere with your normal conduct of business and subject to your reasonable confidentiality and security measures. For clarity, we are not obliged to carry out any such audit.
We exclude our liability for all action we may take in response to breaches of this Acceptable Use Policy. The actions we may take are not limited to those described above, and we may take any other action we reasonably deem appropriate.
GOVERNING LAW AND JURISDICTION
The terms of this Acceptable Use Policy shall be governed by and construed in accordance with English law. Disputes arising in connection with this Acceptable Use Policy shall be subject to the non-exclusive jurisdiction of the English courts.